Equipment and Tools I Use for this Recipe
Creamy Jalepeno Cheddar Potato Soup (No Blender)
Potato soup made with sharp cheddar, jalepeno peppers and bacon.
Servings 6 servings
- ½ pound bacon uncooked, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 jalepeno peppers diced, plus more sliced for garnish
- 4 cups russet potatoes cut into small cubes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnish: green onion or chives sliced
- In a large stock pot, cook bacon on medium heat until crispy throughout. Set bacon aside and reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon fat in the pot.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add jalepeno peppers, potatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The potatoes will soften and begin to break down as the soup simmers.
- Using a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon, mash the potatoes in the the soup until you have your desired consistency. There will still be some potato clumps since we aren't using a blender here, but the more you break the potatoes down the smaller they will be.
- Add heavy cream and cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted. Add ¾ of the cooked bacon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide soup into bowls and top with the remaining bacon, jalepeno slices and green onions/chives.