I was first introduced to this dessert at a Christmas party and I must have eaten half the plate that was put out. Traditionally, this crack (sometimes known as “Christmas Crack”) is made with saltine crackers, and I decided to try it out with pretzels and flaky salt for a serious sweet & salty combo.
You’ll notice that this recipe calls for a lot of butter and brown sugar and that’s simply because I like the toffee layer to be thick.
Equipment and Tools I Use for this Recipe
Sweet & Salty Pretzel Crack
- 1 + 1/2 cups butter
- 1 + 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
- 2 cups mini pretzel twists
- 300 g semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips about one small bag
- 1 teaspoon flaky or coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and grease with cooking spray or butter. Arrange pretzels in a single layer to cover the baking sheet.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a light boil, reduce to medium heat and bubble for 6 minutes, continuing to stir.
- Pour the butter & sugar mixture over the pretzels. Spread gently with a spatula so that all of the pretzels are covered.
- Bake on the middle rack for 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the pretzels and toffee while it's still hot. Gently spread the chocolate as it melts to cover the baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt while the chocolate is still melted.
- Cool crack to room temperature then refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Once cooled, break or cut into pieces.