Warning: This recipe is for cheese lovers only! I’ve always loved my mac & cheese to be on the saucy side of things. This stovetop recipe is right up my alley because it can be whipped up in a pinch and it guarantees rich, creamy mac & cheese every time!
I like to mix up my mac in my Always Pan but you can use any large skillet or pot! I prefer to eat mine right off the stove but for an even cheesier result (as if that was even possible), you can transfer your mac to a baking dish, sprinkle some cheese on top, and bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes (or until the cheese is nice and melted).
Equipment and tools I Use for this Recipe
Velvety Stovetop Mac & Cheese
This easy mac & cheese is made on the stovetop for a creamy result!
Servings 4 Servings
- 1/2 pound macaroni uncooked
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt & pepper
- 3 cups cheddar cheese shredded (I use a mix of sharp orange and old white cheddar)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- In a large pot or skillet, cook butter and flour over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add cream, milk, mustard powder, smoked paprika, salt & pepper to pot. Whisk until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove the pot from heat and add the shredded cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is velvety.
- Add cooked macaroni to sauce and stir to combine. Serve immediately.